Another great week of varsity competition for our athletes! Here are the highlights:
1) Congratulations to our entire Competitive Cheerleading program, who qualified for the MHSAA State Finals for the first time in school history. The team was incredibly resilient this past Saturday down in Middleville. The girls were in 9th Place after Round 1 (221.6) and held on to 6th Place after Round 2 (438.69). Needing to get to at least 4th Place to qualify, the girls scored 311.5 in Round 3 and bypassed both Kenowa Hills and Bay City Central. It was a euphoric moment for the girls and coaching staff… who have worked so hard over the years to get to this moment. Saturday’s Finals information is below…
2) How about senior boys swimmer Pat Taylor? The guy simply won’t settle! Not only did Pat qualify for the state finals in the 50Y and 100Y Free sprints, but he received All-Conference this past Saturday (not easy for our Shores swimmers to do!) and has a legitimate chance at becoming the third All-State swimmer in the program (Hunt, ’10; Willson, ’13) two weeks from now at the MHSAA State Finals in Saginaw.
3) Congratulations to our Girls Basketball program, who knocked off Union (59-45) and Kenowa Hills (53-26) last week to secure a share of the O-K Black crown. The girls tied Muskegon with a conference record of 8-2 for their first conference title since 2008-09. Between the two games, the Sailors were led by Jasmyn Walker (36 points, 16 rebounds), freshman Jordan Walker (14 points, 10 steals), and Sarah Jones (15 points). Now – with a 16-4 season record – on to the District Tournament!
4) Unfortunately, our bowling season has come to a close. Down in Grand Haven this past weekend, our girls rolled a 2,697 between their “baker” and regular games and finished 10th overall at the MHSAA Regional Tournament. Our boys finished 13th overall with a total of 3,094. At Saturday’s individual finals, junior Dan Ribbink finished 29th overall with a 1,039 six-game total. Senior McKenna Birch was closest to qualifying, finishing 12th overall (top 10 advance…) with a 1,053 performance – only three pins off of the three-way tie for 8th/9th/10th Place.
What a CRAZY and FUN week ahead! It’s Tournament time!
1) Our hockey team kicks off the exciting week as they take on Petoskey at the LC Walker Arena on Tuesday at 5:30 pm. Should they win, the boys will get another crack at either Traverse City Central or Reeths-Puffer on Thursday at 7:00 pm.
2) Girls basketball gets a “bye” in the first round of the MHSAA Girls Basketball Tournament, so they will play Grand Haven at 7:30 pm (at Reeths-Puffer) on Wednesday. If victorious, our girls would play in Friday’s District Championship (again!) at 7:00 pm.
3) Boys basketball still has two games left in their regular season. Our Sailors face a tough Holland squad on Tuesday at home and then get Fruitport at home on Thursday. Both games are at 7:00 pm.
4) Senior duo Adam Pawlowski and Taylor McPhail wrestle at the Palace of Auburn Hills on Friday and Saturday. This is their second trip and their final opportunity to become Shores’ first all-state wrestlers in nearly a decade. Good luck guys!
5) Cheerleading information for Saturday… There will be a Spirit Bus departing at 8:30 am. $10 gets you your Finals ticket and the ride. For adults, there are 150 pre-sale tickets in the Athletic Office on a first-come, first-serve basis. Tickets are $7 each. Checks need to be written out to “MHSAA”. The Finals for Division 2 begin at 10 am… doors open at 9 am! Good luck “Army”!
1) In his first game as a college pitcher, Shores alum Kyle Lawson picked up the victory on the mound for Muskegon Community College down in South Carolina. Lawson pitched “brilliantly” – according to reports – going 6 and 2/3 innings… Way to go Kyle!
2) Another Sailor alumni post: Check out (http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mswimdive/2013-14/releases/20140221bb1sps)… Congrats to senior Hope College swimmer Jake Hunt on earning his second All-MIAA award this past year!
Each of our varsity program’s records are now displayed on our athletic website! Please visit www.monashoressports.com to view them (under “Records”). You can also see which Sailor alumni are current college student-athletes, view schedules, news and more on the site…
Have a great week! Go Shores!